The ACU, in full cooperation with a group of local partners working in the Eastern and Western Ghoutas, contributed to breaking the siege from within by funding the implementation of a number of development projects, including the WASH and the FSL sectors, including support for food security and civil defense.
16 projects were implemented in the two districts of Damascus in the first half of 2014 at a total cost of about 700 thousand US dollars, 11 projects in the Eastern Ghouta and 5 projects in the Western Ghouta. Within the framework of the projects are 6 projects in the WASH sector, two projects in the field of civil defense and 5 agricultural projects and two projects in food security and relief sectors.
The following is a list of some of the projects implemented in Eastern Ghouta specifically:
- Planting seeds of summer seedlings
- Summer Crops
- Biofuel production
- Water of Alderieh neighbourhood in Harasta
- Water pumping for the town of Madirah in the countryside of Damascus
- Operation of main water pumps in the towns of Al-Marj
- Support of a furnance in the city of Darya
- Cleaning project in Harasta, Zamalka, Ain Tarma and Madira
- Civil Defense in the town of Muleha
- Civil Defense Support in Harasta